Monday, January 12, 2009

I-Cord Ribbon

I was recently introduced to ravelry.com. I love to be organized, and for me, that is the great thing about this site. It has forced me to sit down, pull out my yarn and see what I actually have hiding in my stash. It has also inspired me to try and use up some of that left over yarn.


In my family, January is one of our big birthday months. I thought, what better than to use yarn as a decorative element on a package. Instead of just using it as is in place of ribbon, try making an i-cord (you can see directions here - scroll down that page to see the how-to video).



It's very easy to do. You'll need some yarn and double point knitting needles. The yarn I used is Berroco Comfort Nylon - 9743 Goldenrod and my needles are a US4. I cast on 3 stitches and continued knitting until the piece measured approximately 30 inches. One nice thing about an i-cord is that it has some stretch to it, which made it perfect for tying a bow.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea, I think I will have to try it :)